Finally, the fight the fans have been asking for has been agreed upon as Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez square off on September 15 in Las Vegas in a showdown dubbed as the battle for middleweight supremacy.
Martinez (49-2-2, 8KO), the WBC lineal champion and considered as the people’s champion, finally gets his wish of having the opportunity of trading blows inside the ring with Chavez Jr. (46-0-1, 32KO’s), whom he previously accused of being a coward after not agreeing to fight him a year ago.
“I want to thank Chavez Jr. for giving me this match,” said Martinez in one of the fight press conference tours. “Finally he agreed to match and stopped running like a chicken.”
Martinez, who will be making his fifth defense of the lineal middleweight title he won when he decisioned Kelly Pavlik two years ago, slammed Chavez Jr. with verbal blows, saying that the flamboyant Mexican can’t handle him.
The 37-year-old champion, who despite his age is still in very good fighting condition, declared that on September 15, he will once again prove that he is the best in the division and one of the top pound-for-pound boxers in the world.
Martinez even suggested to his opponent’s father, Julio Cesar Chavez Sr., that he should take a picture of his son before the fight because he will not recognize Chavez Jr’s face after the pounding him with his powerful punches in their highly-anticipated showdown.
But on the other hand, Chavez Jr. and his camp also had their share on the trash-talking drama, saying that the 26-year-old Mexican is more than ready to face Martinez and they will be shutting his mouth up in Vegas on September.
“I’m very happy because Chavez Jr. will be well prepared,” Chavez Sr. said. “On September 15, we will shut Maravilla’s mouth.”
Chavez Jr., the reigning World Boxing Council middleweight champion, is coming from an impressive seventh-round knockout win over Andy Lee last month, while Martinez scored a technical knockout win over Matthew Macklin last March.
Martinez (49-2-2, 8KO), the WBC lineal champion and considered as the people’s champion, finally gets his wish of having the opportunity of trading blows inside the ring with Chavez Jr. (46-0-1, 32KO’s), whom he previously accused of being a coward after not agreeing to fight him a year ago.
“I want to thank Chavez Jr. for giving me this match,” said Martinez in one of the fight press conference tours. “Finally he agreed to match and stopped running like a chicken.”
Martinez, who will be making his fifth defense of the lineal middleweight title he won when he decisioned Kelly Pavlik two years ago, slammed Chavez Jr. with verbal blows, saying that the flamboyant Mexican can’t handle him.
The 37-year-old champion, who despite his age is still in very good fighting condition, declared that on September 15, he will once again prove that he is the best in the division and one of the top pound-for-pound boxers in the world.
Martinez even suggested to his opponent’s father, Julio Cesar Chavez Sr., that he should take a picture of his son before the fight because he will not recognize Chavez Jr’s face after the pounding him with his powerful punches in their highly-anticipated showdown.
But on the other hand, Chavez Jr. and his camp also had their share on the trash-talking drama, saying that the 26-year-old Mexican is more than ready to face Martinez and they will be shutting his mouth up in Vegas on September.
“I’m very happy because Chavez Jr. will be well prepared,” Chavez Sr. said. “On September 15, we will shut Maravilla’s mouth.”
Chavez Jr., the reigning World Boxing Council middleweight champion, is coming from an impressive seventh-round knockout win over Andy Lee last month, while Martinez scored a technical knockout win over Matthew Macklin last March.
